ronald wesley maly

just a few thoughts

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Your Fearless Forecaster Predicts the Hawkeyes Will Go 8-4, Iowa State 4-8 [But Don't Put Any Money On Any Of That!]



Reporters who cover Big 12 Conference football games are picking Iowa State to finish in the same place most other people think the Cyclones will wind up in the standings -- last in the North Division.

I guess it's hard to argue that Gene Chizik's team will be able to do any better.

I know I'm not applying for Orange Bowl credentials yet.

I'm picking Iowa State to go 4-8 overall this season in Chizik's second year as coach.

Then there's Iowa....

I told a guy yesterday that I've decided the Hawkeyes will rebound from last season's 6-6 debacle, and go 8-4 in 2008.

Now I'm trying to figure out the eight teams the Hawkeyes will beat.

I've been consulting with Rocky the orangutan [pictured at the right, courtesy of the Great Ape Trust Of Iowa] about all of this.

I knew Rocky would be a big help in my preseason prognostications. He always has answers lots of others don't.

All I know for sure is that I feel better about Iowa's chances in 2008 because Western Michigan isn't on the schedule.

A ridiculous 28-19 loss to that team in the 2007 finale kept the Hawkeyes from going to a bowl game.

Right now, I'm saying Iowa will beat Maine, Florida International, Iowa State, Northwestern, Indiana, Wisconsin, Penn State and Purdue.

Sorry, Bo [he's the Iowa City guy to whom I made the prediction], I see Iowa losing to Pittsburgh, Michigan State, Illinois and Minnesota.

*

Now back to Iowa State.

I figure the Cyclones will win their first two games -- both at home -- over South Dakota State and Kent State. Then they'll lose at Iowa and UNLV, and to Kansas at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames.

They'll win at Baylor, lose to Nebraska, beat Texas A&M, and lose at Oklahoma State and Colorado, and to Missouri and at Kansas State.

Iowa State tied Nebraska for the worst records in the North last season. The Cyclones somehow beat Kansas State and Colorado, and wound up 3-9 overall.

"The Cyclones surprised me last year as they were the least-talented team in the Big 12," Phil Steele wrote in his College Football Preview magazine. "This year's squad has 14 returning starters and will be stronger in Chizik's second season, but with 25 out of 52 lettermen lost it looks like a rebuilding year."

Missouri, which went 12-2 overall in 2007, is heavily favored to win the North title in 2008. The Tigers received all 51 first-place votes in the reporters' poll.

Kansas is expected to finish second, followed by Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas State and Iowa State.

Oklahoma received 49 first-place votes and is a heavy favorite to win the South title. Texas, picked to finish second, got the other two first-place votes.

Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Baylor followed.

*

By the way, rather surprisingly, Steele thinks Iowa will tie Michigan and Illinois for fourth place in the Big Ten.

"The Hawks do not have overwhelming talent at the skill positions, but do have my No. 4-rated offensive line and No. 4-rated defensive line plus much improved special teams," he writes. "They also do not face Ohio State or Michigan in Big Ten play, giving them the best schedule of the middle-rung teams."