ronald wesley maly

just a few thoughts

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

First the Thai Food, Then Ferentz



One of the things I like about my life these days is that I can go to the Cool Basil restaurant on a Tuesday, have a Thai lunch [left], then come home and be furnished the text on my computer of what Kirk Ferentz [right] said during his press conference a couple of hours earlier in Iowa City.

The things the Iowa football coach told reporters today about a matchup that's often called the Big Game, but only occasionally is played like a big game, is right there in an e-mail attachment, thanks to Phil Haddy, Steve Roe and others in Iowa's sports information office.

That sure beats the old days.

Because this is the week Ferentz's Hawkeyes play Iowa State in their first important game of the season, I printed out what he said during his press conference.

"My week has been off to a big start already," Ferentz began. "Yesterday, I got to open the paper and saw a little picture of my face, nice smile on my face, cited like a 2-and-20 record against Iowa Since since I've been here.

"And then the highlight of my day today, I got off the Big Ten....whatever they call it....media call-in or whatever it's called, but it's like a call-in show, and we wrapped it up with a question about the tight end at Wisconsin...."

*

Ferentz may have thought he was off to a good start.

I'm not sure I was.

*

First of all, Ferentz isn't 2-20 against Iowa State. He's "only" 3-6.

In all, the Cyclones have won seven of the last 10 games of the series with Iowa.

*

Everybody wants to talk about Iowa's quarterback these days -- or, I guess, anytime. So the first question Ferentz got concerned starter Ricky Stanzi and backup Jake Christensen, the player some Iowa fans booed last week.

"So far, [Stanzi has] played well," Ferentz said. "I think both guys have done a good job in all the situations they've been in, and the thing that motivated us to start Rick last week, we didn't have a chance to see him as a starter.

"There are a lot of things we don't know about him yet....It's not like we're ready to crown him king or anything. It's kind of like our football team. We've played hard, but we really haven't done anything yet, either."

Someone even asked this question: "Do you have any concerns with Ricky, like him getting a big head, that type of thing?

"I don't, but I've never seen him in this situation," Ferentz said. "He's a lot like our team; it's not like we've done anything yet. I mean, we've won two games. We won two games last year and the season didn't have a happy ending."

*

Someone asked if tight end Tony Moeaki, who has been injured, will be available Saturday.

"Yeah, if he gets through the week," Ferentz said. "He's making progress. Two questions--how effective will he be, then how long can he go?

"Do you like [split end] Trey Stross also this week?" Ferentz was asked.

"He's got a chance. He gained ground during last week, and if we can get him through the next three days, you'll see him Saturday. If you don't see him Saturday, that means we didn't get him through the next three days."

*

Asked if his players understand the significance of the Iowa-Iowa State game, Ferentz said, "Yeah, I think probably the only people that don't would be the first-year freshmen that haven't been involved in this game...."

A follow-up on the Iowa State game: "When you're walking around in public, do you get asked if you're going to beat Iowa State this year moreso than any other game?"

"Not really," Ferentz said. "Not to ruin your story, but it does come up, I'm not going to iminmize it. A few other things come up, too, especially after last year [a 15-13 Iowa loss at Ames]."

Someone wanted to know what kind of relationship Ferentz has with Iowa State coach Gene Chizik.

"It's very casual," he said. "We attended a dinner together a year ago April, and I saw him last September,. I think that's about it. But professionally, I'm well aware of what he's done and I think we're probably both in tune to what we do program-wise, and I've got great respect for the job he's done all throughout his career. Certainly he's doing a great job there...."

*

Asked about the emotions after last year's loss at Iowa State, Ferentz said, "Yeah, you know, more prominent to me is just the ride home. That's a long ride home. I remember that ride home.

"I remember riding home from Northwestern [a 28-27 Iowa loss]in 2005. I remember the week or so after the last ballgame last year [a 28-19 loss to Western Michigan that kept Iowa from going to a bowl game]. I rememeber the last week or so after our last ballgame the year before that, the [loss at] Minnesota.

"There are certain things that just -- snapshot memories you have, and they're not pleasant thoughts. If those motivate you, great. They should motivate you to work harder."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home